CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 30, 2009

Dolls **some adult content**


This one might get rotten tomatoes thrown at me, but, oh well!

The characters you see here are in your local Walmarts and such, all over the country.  In case you didn't know, these are not models for Victoria's Secret.  These are the very popular dolls that you will find in your toy section.  They are called Bratz.  

I am blown away at how popular these dolls have become over the last several years.  Why?
Because they are geared for girls ages 7-11, although even younger girls want them.  According to what I've read, these dolls are teenagers.

I just cannot see how a parent can overlook the danger of these dolls.  PROVOCATIVE is written all over these "girls"!  And provocative is a less offensive word than a few other descriptive words that come to mind.

Would I EVER allow my teenage daughter to dress like this?
Would I want my 4-11 year old daughter to look at this as a role model?
Do I want my child to have a doll that is named after what I don't want my daughter to be-a BRAT?  I mean, these girls do talk about "brattitude".
What kind of thoughts enter the mind with low-cut blouses, a mini skirt and high heels?  Or a mini skirt and knee high platform boots?  Not to mention the full lips.  
And I guess if these dolls are teenagers, why are they geared for ages 11 and under?

Found on Wikipedia(I know Wikipedia is not always gospel, but I think this is probably accurate):

Bratz dolls come dressed in sexualized clothing such as miniskirts, fishnet stockings, and feather boas. Although these dolls may present no more sexualization of girls or women than is seen in MTV videos, it is worrisome when dolls designed specifically for 4- to 8-year-olds are associated with an objectified adult sexuality

– APA Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls, Report of the APA Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls


Also according to Wikipedia, a Bratz spokesperson said:
The Bratz brand, which has remained number one in the UK market for 23 consecutive months focuses core values on friendship, hair play and a 'passion for fashion'.

I am all for promoting friendship bonds, but the fashion styles they promote bring the word "passion" out in a different meaning than what they are claiming.  Not to mention, too much fashion passion in any sense can cause a loftiness that our girls don't need.

One mother said she was bothered to sit and watch the show with her daughter, and hear the Bratz talking about getting nose jobs.  How sad to encourage little girls to be unhappy with who they are.

Anyway you look at it, these dolls are sending wrong messages.  Why would anyone want their teenager to look 25 years old?  Our society is LOADED with images and new ideas of areas of life that should be very private.  It seems like an agenda to introduce them to sexiness when they are 4 years old.  It become the norm, it becomes acceptable.  God help us!

My two cents...Scary, scary, scary!    





















7 comments:

Miss Jocelyn said...

I do agree with you and pray that other Christians wake up to the fact that just because it's a doll doesn't it make it less of an influence on your children as a real (excuse me) hooker would.

Shalom,
Miss Jocelyn
aponderingheart.com
http://feelinfeminine.com

Sarah Mae said...

It's crazy what's out there, that's for sure. But I noticed as I finished reading your post - your google ad advertisers for mini skirts. I know you have no control over which ads are picked, but you do have control over having them at all. I say that after I had the same ads popping up on my site and had to make a decision about what was most important - a couple bucks or promoting godliness.

I can tell you are a godly woman! :)

Josanne said...

I agree, and thank you! I've mulled over this myself, and seeing as how these ads are going to pop up every time someone looks at this post, I think removing them will be a good thing to do. Thanks again for commenting!
Josanne

Maria said...

For some reason, I have always been glad that "those ugly dolls" didn't make their debut until after I was past dolls.

It is very sad what our society is doing to women. Just the other day I was reading an article advising teenage girls to do what they want and be in control of their boy-girl relationships... While it's sugar-coated on the surface, girls today are taught behavior that makes them abused objects instead of priceless treasures. And it all starts with Bratz dolls and make-overs for three-year-olds.

-Maria

Brandi said...

Hi
I think it is great that someone else feels the same way I do. But I think it is WONDERFUL that you voice your feelings. As a mother of 7 yo and a 21 mth old girls I find it frustrating that my daughters are bombarded with these images from such a young age! We do not own these dolls, though I have had some confrontations with my girl in the toy aisle. We also have to closely supervise TV and movies as well as friends houses where the parents might not be so picky. Keep it up and maybe our daughters won't have these same struggles with their daughters. (one can hope)
If you don't mind I may link to this post on my blog.
Blessings
Brandi
www.purposefulwomanhood.com

Josanne said...

I don't mind at all! I too wish others would stop and really consider what these dolls promote. Thank you for commenting!
Josanne

Anonymous said...

I link through from another CWB & glad that I did. It's nice to see that others share my opinion of these 'tarts'. My 7 y/o, DOES NOT like the Bratz dolls, and refuses to play with anything that looks slightly like a Bratz Doll. She also refuses to play with anything related to HSM, saying that 'she only 7 years old and is not in High School yet..." The same child refuses to wear clothing with HSM, or Hanna Montana, stating that 'she doesn't get paid by them, so why should she advertise for them?'

Keep up the good work with your blog, and hopefully the tides will turn and people will realize that being feminine does not mean being a door mat, but rather being strong.